My guide to one of the most important items in your wardrobe…
Nothing makes me feel better than a really good pair of jeans. Be it skinny, cropped, boyfriend, distressed or flares, they are the base to pretty much all of my day-to-day outfits. Now my history with jeans is somewhat mixed. At school a pair of slouchy jeans, probably dirty with rips at the bottom and doodled on with a biro seemed like a good idea, until I decided I didn’t want to look like a ‘waster man’. Then I proceeded to a more skinnier shape but still wide on the hems and decorated in glitter or velvet rose prints (I know, vom!) After that my eyes were opened to designer jeans, ideally with as many obvious logos as possible, I particularly loved a massive metal DG tag on the back pocket as they were also my initials (some guys at school actually thought that’s what it was rather than Dolce & Gabbana). But anyways there was a lot of trial and error, from cheap jeans that fell apart, stained my legs blue, to some that made me feel crap about my body.
What I’ve learned is that a pair of jeans is supposed to fit you like a glove, no matter what style. You know when you’ve put on a good pair because you just feel everything is in the right place, no bulking at the crotch, no tightness around the ankles, there is a general ability to move your legs freely and you can sit down in them without suffocating. I’ve also realised that designer jeans aren’t always your best bet as the colour, especially indigo shades, runs and stains anything in its path (my poor white Prada tote!). But I also think some jeans are worth the money especially from the likes of J Brand, MiH, Frame and Paige Denim who really know their stuff.
On the high-street you can’t fault Levi’s (they’ve been making jeans for over 140 years so they must be doing something right!) and I have been increasingly impressed with options from Topshop (Baxter Skinny are my fave) as well as 7 for All Mankind. I did have brief love affair with Abercrombie & Fitch jeans but they stretched so quickly after a few wears and washes that I haven’t gone back, but maybe that’s changed?
So here are my tips to buying perfect jeans:
- Talk to the experts at the stores, trust me they will save you a lot of time and tears (I heard guys at Dona Ida are THE denim gurus).
- You’ll kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince so try on a few and then some more, promise it will be worth the hassle!
- Experiment – go for a high-waist if you normally choose low-rise, the style adds length to your legs, or opt for denim with an added detail like lace or a subtle print.
- Petite girlies like myself struggle with boyfriend jeans, my tip is to roll them up and add a high ankle boot, or any kind of heel for that matter.
- Boyish shape? This season you’re in luck because nothing gives us curves like a pair of flares, MiH are the best!
- Distressed jeans are great for the summer, especially in white.
- For curvy Beyoncé’s out there, Levi’s have the perfect style.
- And when you find THE pair you’ve been dreaming of, aftercare is important. Wash on low heat with a gentle detergent and don’t tumble dry. I also read somewhere that putting them in a sealed bag in a freezer keeps them fresh between washes, I’m yet to test this theory although maybe just in the summer!
Is there an amazing brand that I missed? What is your perfect pair of jeans? Share in the comment box below! x